Friday, April 8, 2011

Rhetoric and Composition: ENG 015 007: Blog Response #11

When beginning my search I first started out using a google search. I used searches such as "illegal aliens in public schools" and "child immigration law." I came across several websites, most of which were blogs that I wanted to avoid but I found several good websites as well. The other search engine I used was the library's. This was more complex to use and I did not find any sources that I want to use at the moment but I will go back and continue searching in the opposing arguments section. http://www.oyez.org/cases/1980-1989/1981/1981_80_1538/ The first source is one that easily summarizes some of history of my topic. There was a U.S. Supreme Court Case that has dealt with this issue. The case Plyler v. Doe came before the Supreme Court dealing with a Texas state law that wanted to ban illegal immigrants from public schools. The court ruled against this law in a 5-4 vote. I believe I will use this as a counter source because it goes against my persuasion. http://www.cairco.org/edu/eduacation/html This is the website for an organization that wants to reform laws regarding illegal children in schools. This website provides a lot of statistics and backs their claims with them. I will use this source in support of my argument because they make fundamentally sound points that I agree with. http://www.jstor.org/stable/2547004 This article analyzes Proposition 187 in California which was voted on in 1994. Proposition 187 called to verify the legal status of anyone seeking public education. Voters voted in favor of prop 187 because of the economic burden it could take off of tax payers. This is a fundamental point in my persuasion of my audience.

1 comment: