Monday, February 28, 2011

Rhetoric and Composition: ENG 015 007: Blog Response #7

Unfortunately I was sick this entire weekend and could not experience State Patty's Day up close and personal. My evaluation is based on things that I have heard from friends and I guess some assumptions that I am making. First of all, walking back from my last class Friday evening, I remember seeing a line of cars looking for parking at every parking deck on campus. I was definitely surprised by the non student turnout. It was hard to tell if these people were friends of students from different schools or if they were alumni. The sight of so many people walking around East Halls asking for directions to different dorms disturbed me. Get your own school is a thought that ran through my mind a lot on Friday night. As far as Saturday goes I was never downtown and could not see the action or any parties for myself. But from what I have heard and from seeing some pictures posted on facebook I could tell that there a lot of people out bright and early to get their drink on. I have no problem with people drinking and having a good time and I did not hear of and major incident where a fight broke out or someone going to the hospital. But I am not naive, I know that just because I did not hear of these things it does not mean they did not happen. With so many people participating it is hard to avoid the negatives of drinking and partying. I know that my good friends had a great State Patty's Day and therefore it is hard for me to give it a negative critique but my gut tells me that when I see this many people roaming the streets it is best to leave the alcohol out of the equation. Maybe I am just bitter because I did not get to share in the fun but I do not think that the volume of people is a good thing. I originally thought State Patty's Day would be a good thing as I thought it was made by Penn State students for Penn State students but I quickly learned that this is not the case. It is hard feel the school spirit if you yell out WE ARE... and more the half the people cannot respond.

1 comment: